Monday, January 16, 2012

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Quesadillas




Credit: Better Homes & Gardens
Recipe: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/barbecue-chicken-and-cheddar-quesadillas/

Cochran Review: These were great! We really enjoyed them. I was concerned they would be messy and too much BBQ, but it wasn't at all. The slow cooker instructions for the chicken seemed a bit cumbersome. So, I switched it up to make it a little easier, and we were not disappointed. Here is how I made the chicken:
Put 4-5 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Mine were frozen and that didn't seem to matter. (Thawing step saved!) Gently sprinkle the chicken with Thyme from your spice rack. A tablespoon of Parsley. I bought a tube of fresh parsley in the produce section. Tastes fresh and great and saves on cutting time. Throw in 2 bay leaves. Press 3 garlic cloves and throw it in. 1/2 tsp of whole black peppercorns. Don't have whole peppercorns? No problem. I'd just put 3/4 tsp of black pepper in. Pour 16 ounces of chicken broth over everything. Put the lid on it and let it cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. When you take the chicken out to cool, leave the bay leaves and whole peppercorns behind. I like to separate/shred the chicken with my hands. It is faster for me than using a fork and I can feel any fatty or tough areas of the chicken so I can throw it out before serving.

4-5 chicken breasts was about double the meat needed for this recipe, but I'm planning to make chicken pizza tomorrow for the games and thought I would just do this all at once. I like to cook two meals at once when possible! So you can cut back if you want to.
We ended up using two cups of shredded cheese rather than one cup, and the quesadillas were not overly cheesy. So, I suggest having extra ready just in case.
We used green salsa and substituted Wholly Guacamole for sour cream. These are just personal choices. Overall, eliminating the cheese cloth step during slow cooking and assembling the quesadillas was very easy and the the meal was very tasty. The chicken really has a lot of flavor and came out very juicy. We hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment