Friday, February 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Cheesy Italian Chicken


Credit: The original site is no longer in existence, but I found this through Just Get Off Your Butt & Bake
Recipe: http://www.sangotn.com/cookbook/crockpot/sauspot.html

Cochran Review: This is pretty good. I put 4 frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker, covered w/ a packet of Zesty Italian seasoning, 2 cans of cream of chicken, & a softened 8oz brick of cream cheese. The recipe said to add milk if this got too thick. We weren't going to be home and I didn't want it to burn. So, I added about 1/4 cup of whole milk. Started the slow cooker on low around 11am and got home about 4pm. The chicken was cooked through. I took it out, cut it in cubes, and added it back to the slow cooker. When I tasted it I thought it had more of a chicken and dumpling flavor than Italian. So, I added a little salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and garlic. Also, it was pretty runny (probably due to the additional milk I added). So, I added a 1/2 brick of cream cheese. I put it on high for another hour.

I cooked the noodles on the side and added at the end. However, I've done a lasagna in the slow cooker w/ uncooked noodles. I bet you could do the same here... add the spiral noodles at the beginning.

Yum! It is really good! I think it would be phenomenal w/ mushrooms and peas and/or asparagus! For tonight, I just served w/ a side of green beans. I made this before blogging and posted on my FB page. A friend made a version w/ frozen peas, a can of artichoke hearts, canned crab meat, mushrooms, and spaghetti noodles. She served it w/ French Bread. The added crab might be a bit over the top for my family, but her family really enjoyed it! Picture below.

This meal is so easy and so versitile. Since posting it on FB, several friends have informed me of variations they have made. Not one person seemed disappointed. Hope you enjoy! If you make it differently, please share in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment