Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Healthy Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers


Credit: Allrecipes.com
Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-with-Turkey-and-Vegetables/Detail.aspx

Cochran Review: These were great! Healthy, tasty, and didn't make us feel overly full... which we are aiming for in preparation of our vacation. I read a few recommendations posted on the original recipe and this is how I made them.

I used two green peppers and two yellow peppers. When selecting my peppers for stuffing I chose ones that were larger in size and stood upright on their own. I believe this saved me some frustration during the filling and cooking process.

My square casserole dish broke this week, and I haven't replaced it yet. So, I threw a little olive oil in my Dutch Oven, placed the four peppers upside down (w/ top cut off and inside cleaned) in the pot, and cooked the initial time. They turned out great and didn't stick or burn.

I put all of the veggies in my food processor to make quick work of the chopping. Also, this made the mushrooms less obvious. Helpful, because my husband doesn't think he eats mushrooms. He does. ;) I didn't include the additional red and yellow pepper in the mixture. Instead, I just chopped and included the tops of the peppers I filled. This was a recommendation posted on the original recipe.

Also, I opted to omit the tomatoes and tomato paste, and substitute a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce. Cheaper, less work, and we don't feel the taste was compromised.

We had more mixture than would fit in the peppers. So, I filled the peppers and put the extra in the pot around the bottom of the stuffed peppers. Once again, worked out well.

We made angel hair pasta in a separate bowl. Cook noodles as directed. Drain. Return to pot. Add olive oil to taste to prevent sticking (like a light dressing). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Plate the Noodles. Put stuffed pepper on bed of noodles. Distribute additional mixture between plates or save for leftovers (we distributed). Sprinkle meal with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment