Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chinese take out with a healthy focus

Guess who didn't make dinner last night? Me! We ordered Chinese take out per my husband's pleading to satisfy a recent craving. Is your jaw off the floor yet? :)

Why am I blogging about take out on my food blog, you may ask. Well, since our son was born we have done our best to keep eating healthy, but sometimes sleep deprivation and time have made eating out and sweets appealing more often than my waistline can handle. I'm really trying to stay focused on a healthy lifestyle again. Usually, I think all indulge and no smart choices when we decide on take out. What's the point, right? However, this time I agreed to take out, but did some research about making healthier choices before my husband got home.

Having a healthy lifestyle is about cooking at home, exercise, and making intelligent choices when you indulge while eating out. I found my research very eye opening and thought you may, too.

References:
Worst:
  • Crispy
  • Egg Rolls
  • Spare Ribs
  • Sweet & Sour
  • Fried Rice
Best:
  • Soup
  • Chinese Vegetables
  • Dim Sum/Dumplings
  • Steamed, or other safe words Jum, Chu, Kow, & Shu
  • Stir Fry - ask for light on oil
Top Soups
  1. Wonton
  2. Egg Drop
  3. Hot & Sour
Top Meals
  1. Moo Goo Gai Pan
  2. Kung Pao Chicken
  3. Beef & Broccolli
Tips:
  • Ask for your food to be cooked Stock Velveted (in vegetable stock as opposed to oil). This can save 150-300 calories and 15-30 grams of fat.
  • Always ask for half sauce. The ideal sauces are hot mustard, hoisin, and oyster. Sauces like sweet and sour, BBQ, General Tso's, etc have a lot of corn starch, which pack on the pounds.
  • Have some fun, and use chopsticks! This will result in less sauce consumption and eating slower... all great things for eating healthier.
Hope this helps you next time you decide to enjoy take out! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips!! Love this informative post! Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete