Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Slow Cooker Beer Chicken w/ Beer & Bacon Quinoa

This one is a combination of a recipe found on Pinterest and a creative moment on my part.

Slow Cooker Beer Chicken
 


Credit: LaaLoosh
Recipe: http://www.laaloosh.com/2012/07/09/crock-pot-beer-chicken-recipe/

Cochran Review: Easy to make and decent flavor. The flavor is good and can be eaten as is, but isn't so overwhelming that you can't make the leftovers into a new meal. I shredded the chicken and made quesadillas the next day.

The chicken made a very yummy au jus. I strained the au jus and served it to the side to be poured over our chicken and quinoa. I think next time I might by hoagies to have chicken french dip sandwiches with leftovers!

Pic of our au jus:


Beer & Bacon Quinoa
 
 
Credit: Jen Cochran, me!  :)
Recipe: Make quinoa as directed on side of box. Instead of water or broth, I used a bottle of beer, plus a little water to make up the 2 cups. Cook bacon on side to a crispy consistency... I used 4 thick cut pieces. Let bacon rest and cool. When quinoa is done, crumble bacon and mix with quinoa.
 
Comments: I wanted something to go along with the chicken recipe above. Beer chicken sounds very manly to me and so I thought, hmmm... what else do men love? Bacon! I think the quinoa was the star of this meal! We had chicken leftovers, but gobbled all of the quinoa up. Enjoy!
 


2 comments:

  1. I am in the process of making this recipe now but wanted it to come out looking like the pic - and I see yours did not as well - the pic looks like some browning involved or broiling or something in addition to the crockpot. Looks brown and even crispy areas and not enough seasoning her her recipe to do that so just trying to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read a comment on the original link asking the same question. The response says the color of the chicken depends on the type of beer used. I honestly can't remember what I used (surprised I didn't specify). As far as crispy, I'm not sure I had that expectation from the pictures. However, I think if you want to finish in a skillet or broiler to have that texture you could. I'd be sure to remove from the slow cooker early & include juice so it doesn't dry out. I strained our au jus before serving so we didn't have those weird fatty leftover chicken bits. That may be why the original pic looks so seasoned in comparison to mine. I found the flavor to be very subtle. If doing again, I will definitely add more seasoning. Good luck! Hope you enjoy your meal, & thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete