Monday, April 23, 2012

Cheesy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole


Credit: Picky Palate
Recipe: http://picky-palate.com/2010/09/13/cheesy-chicken-and-wild-rice-casserole/

Cochran Review: We had this for dinner last night. The dish tastes fine, but it was a lot of work and a lot of dishes. Everything in the recipe requires precooking: shredded chicken, vegetables, and rice. Luckily, this was a planned Sunday dinner. So, my husband was available to help. If you're not standing over this meal, it's not cooking. There isn't much it does on its own. As a mom of a busy toddler, these meals are a bit cumbersome. I think you could fancy up a boxed rice meal with chicken and bake topped with cheese to get the same minimal work, but same flavor dish. Also, if I were to make this again, I'd either add more chicken or not use so much rice.

This is how I made my shredded chicken:
- 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (only 2 for this recipe. I made more for another recipe this week)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
I threw all ingredients into the slow cooker on high for 4 hours. Let chicken cool. Then shred/pull apart with fork.

Here is a picture from our dinner:


Thanks for joining us for dinner! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment