Thursday, March 1, 2012

Family Fajita Bar - turned slow cooker meal


Credit: Weber
Recipe: http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipes/beef/family-fajita-bar

Cochran Review: Well, we ran out of propane, and I do not know how to change the tank. So, I turned this grill meal into a slow cooker meal with great success! Here's how I did it:

I put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan on the stove top. I seared both sides of the steak to caramelize it. I put the steak in the slow cooker. Then added the chicken to the pan to sear both sides. I then added the chicken to the slow cooker, too.

Since I was putting the meal in the slow cooker for the day, I thought I should increase the liquid. Instead of 1/4 cup of orange juice, I used 12 ounces. I had concerns that adding this much orange juice and not using a grill would create a tropical flavor and loose the smoky grill taste. So, I put the orange juice, olive oil, and lime juice in the pan I seared the meat on low and mixed the drippings. This turned the liquid to a smokier and browner consistency. End result seemed to be much more smokey grill flavor than blatant orange. So, we were happy.

I poured the liquid mixture from the pan over the meat in the slow cooker, added the other ingredients (except peppers & onions; we sauteed them in a pan w/ coconut oil right before serving), and cooked it on low for 5 hours.

We really enjoyed this meal! I think the conversion from a grill cooking method to a slow cooker is a nice alternative for those without a grill or for winter months. We really enjoyed this.

I have a favorite guacamole recipe I typically make. I was gonna give this one a try, but time didn't allow and I went to my reliable Wholly Guacamole cheat. If you try the guac recipe included, let me know what you think! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment